How to Install License Plate Relocators on Your Motorcycle
A license plate relocator is a kit that relocates the license plate of any vehicle from one location to another for various reasons. It is like a new frame that you can add to your upgrade without ruining your sleek ride. License plates are meant to establish the ownership of any vehicle, and they must be mounted on any motorcycle that is meant for operation on highways and public roads. To make this possible, the manufacturers of motorcycles put a motorcycle license plate frame along the frame or body where law enforcement can get a clear view of the license plate.
Whether you are doing it for necessity or style, you can install your license plate anywhere on the body of your motorcycle using a license plate relocator, as long as law enforcement personnel can see it clearly. In instances when a bumper guard, for instance, blocks the original location of the license plate, you can use the license plate relocator to position your motorcycle license plate in another location on the bike. On the other hand, sometimes you may want your motorcycle license plate in a not-so-common position, like under the grilles. Again, a motorcycle license plates relocator will come in handy in achieving your vision.
The Need for a License Plate Relocator
Some people naturally like making modifications and upgrades to their automobiles. Some upgrades involve winches, bumper skirts, and other aftermarket add-ons that require you to remove the license plates to fit the upgrade. Unfortunately, you cannot drive around without a license plate. Now, that is where a license plate relocator comes in. You will need it to place your motorcycle’s license plates in another location.
Kinds of License Plate Relocators
You can usually purchase a license plate relocator in one of two materials:
- Stainless Steel - A relocator made from stainless steel is ideal for extreme road adventure and off-road riders, as it is durable. It can withstand debris and flying rocks on rough terrain.
- Chrome - A chrome license plate relocator is highly noticeable but ideal just for the city use. It is available in different colors to match your ride’s new modification.
Tools Required for License Plate Relocator Installation
You’ll only need a few tools to install your plate relocator. Here’s what you should have on hand:
- Adjustable wrench
There are a few other tools that you can optionally have on hand to make the job a little easier. These include the following:
- Power drill
- Socket wrench
- Ratchet wrench
- 1/8-inch drill bit
These aren’t typically necessary, but they can make the installation process a lot smoother and easier.
Installing your license plate relocator is simple and easy. Just follow these steps:
- 1 .Remove the screws holding the license plate, using a screwdriver. Set the plate and the screws aside.
- 2 .Take out the retaining screws or rivets for the manufacturer-installed license plate holder using the screwdriver. You can also remove the rivets using a 1/8-inch power drill. You can now take out the license plate holder.
- 3 .You now need to align the holes on the license plate relocator to the mounting holes of the motorcycle’s license holder. Fix the relocator using the provided bolts and nuts, and tighten them using an adjustable wrench.
- 4 .Now, put the license plate on the relocator, aligning it with the mounting holes, and use a screwdriver to tighten it using the original retaining screws.
With the above simple guide, you can now modify your motorcycle with aftermarket parts and still have your license plate fixed somewhere else on your motorcycle. However, ensure that you place it in a visible area to avoid any legal issues. To get some of the best license plate relocators, get in touch with us at CycleVisions.